Browse available benefits

This tool includes federal, Ontario, and some City of Toronto benefits. Benefits for other provinces and municipalities are not currently listed.

The Allowance for the Survivor is a non-taxable monthly benefit for people aged 60 to 64 who have low income, who are living in Canada, and whose spouse or common-law partner has died. The amount you receive depends on your previous year's income.

The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) program gives financial help to low- and moderate-income families to cover some of the costs when caring for a child who has a severe disability.

First Nations, provinces, and Yukon provide assisted living services to eligible recipients. The Assisted Living Program gives money to identified service providers to help provide non-medical, social support services to seniors, adults with chronic illness, and children and adults with disabilities (mental and physical) on reserve so that they can maintain their independence.

The Assistive Devices Program (ADP) helps people with long-term physical disabilities pay for certain equipment and supplies, like wheelchairs and hearing aids. The ADP generally pays up to 75% of the cost of approved equipment and supplies and you pay 25% when you buy the item. In some cases, the ADP pays a fixed amount for a device or provides money directly. 

The Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help with the costs of raising children under 18 years old. On average, families receive about $6,800 in CCB payments annually.

The Canada Disability Savings Bond is money the government deposits into the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) of low and modest-income Canadians. The RDSP is a long-term savings plan that helps Canadians with disabilities and their families save for the future.

The Canada Disability Savings Grant is a matching grant that pays into the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). The RDSP is a long-term savings plan that helps Canadians with disabilities and their families save for the future.

The Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) is money that the Government of Canada adds to a child's Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to help pay for either full-time or part-time studies after high school at any designated educational institution including university, college, apprenticeships, and trade.

The Canada Learning Bond (CLB) is money that the Government of Canada provides for children whose families have low income.

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) death benefit is a one-time payment to the estate on behalf of a CPP contributor who has died. As of January 1, 2019, the amount of the death benefit for all eligible contributors is a flat rate of $2,500.

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Retirement Pension provides a monthly, taxable amount to replace part of your income when you retire, for the rest of your life. For 2019, the maximum monthly amount as a new recipient starting the pension at age 65 is $1,154.58. The average monthly amount is $679.16.

When your parent, spouse, or common-law partner dies, you may be eligible for the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Survivor's Pension through the Government of Canada.

The Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPPD) benefits are payments available to people who have contributed to the Canada Pension Plan and who are not able to work regularly at any job because of a disability. These benefits are not designed to pay for things like medications and assistive devices.

The Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) (formerly Working Income Tax Benefit) is a refundable tax credit to help eligible working individuals and families on low incomes who are already working.

The Child Disability Benefit is a monthly, tax-free benefit for families who care for a child under age 18 with a severe and prolonged physical or mental disability. You could get up to $236.00 per month for each child who is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.

The Climate Action Incentive (CAI) payment provides a basic amount ($154) and a 10% supplement for residents of small and rural communities. This payment may reduce your amount payable or increase your refund when you file your income tax and benefit return.

The Assistive Devices Program (ADP) helps people with long-term physical disabilities pay for certain equipment and supplies, like wheelchairs and hearing aids.

This benefit is for individuals receiving Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support. You and your family could get help with the cost of diabetic supplies, surgical supplies and surgical dressings, and incontinence supplies.

The Disability Supplement is a refundable tax credit which is the second part of the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB).

The Disability Tax Credit (DTC) is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities, or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. The goal is to provide some help with disability costs, since these are unavoidable expenses.

Emergency Energy Fund (EEF) is available for Toronto residents living on a low income, regardless of their immigration status in Canada.

The Employers' Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance Protection benefits helps protect your income if you develop a disability and can't work for an extended or long period of time. 

The Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Benefit provides financial aid to those who have to take time away from work to provide care or support for an injured or gravely ill person. You can receive this benefit for up to 26 weeks.

The Family Supplement is a feature of Employment Insurance (EI) that provides money to families with low income who have children. The maximum Family Supplement will be as high as 80% of your average insurable earnings. 

The Employment Insurance Maternity and Parental Benefit provides financial assistance to people who are away from work because they’re pregnant or have recently given birth or for parents who are away from work caring for their newborn or newly adopted child.

The Employment Insurance (EI) Regular Benefit provides financial assistance to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can't find a job.

The Employment Insurance (EI) Sickness Benefit can provide you with up to 15 weeks of financial assistance if you cannot work for medical reasons. You could receive 55% of your earnings up to a maximum of $573 a week.

The Exceptional Access Program (EAP) helps patients pay for drugs that are not covered by the Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) program.

If you and your family have high health costs and no longer qualify for financial help from Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support, Extended Health Benefits may be available to help you.

The Federal Excise Gasoline Tax Refund Program refunds a portion of the federal excise tax on gasoline used by people who have a permanent mobility impairment and cannot safely use public transportation, as certified by a qualified medical practitioner. This program allows you to claim a refund or part of the tax paid on gasoline at the rate of 1.5 cents per litre or $0.15 per kilometre. 

The GST/HST credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low or modest incomes reimburse all or part of GST or HST taxes they’ve paid.

The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) is an additional monthly non-taxable benefit to Old Age Security (OAS) recipients who have low income and live in Canada. If approved, the GIS payments will be added to your OAS pension payment each month. 

The Hardship Fund provides financial assistance to help low-income Toronto residents pay for special health-related items, such as eyeglasses, emergency dental work, medication, medical items (walkers, hearing aids, hospital beds and more), or funeral expenses.

The Healthy Smiles Program is an Ontario government-funded basic dental program providing preventive and early treatment services for children and youth in low income families, who are 17 years of age or under. 

The Home and Vehicle Modification Program provides funding for basic home and/or vehicle modifications. This program helps permanent Ontario residents with a significant impairment expected to last one year or more, with their disability management.

The Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF) helps Toronto residents who receive Ontario Works or income support through the Ontario Disability Support Program with money for emergency housing needs. The amount of money you might receive depends on your income, assets, and required amount.

The Indigenous Bursaries Search Tool is a searchable list of 688 bursaries, scholarships, and incentives across Canada.

The Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) gives emergency financial help to those who have low income and are behind on paying their electricity and gas bills or have been disconnected. You could get up to $500 in emergency assistance for electricity bills ($600 if your home is heated electrically) and $500 for gas bills.

The Childcare access and relief from expenses tax credit is a new refundable credit for families with eligible child care expenses.

For First Nations and Inuit, this federal government program pays for drugs, dental services, and other health benefits not otherwise covered under provincial programs.

The Old Age Security (OAS) pension is a monthly payment available to most people 65 years of age and older who meet Canadian legal status and residence requirements. The payment amount for OAS is determined by how long you have lived in Canada after the age of 18.

The Ontario Child Benefit (OCB) helps parents with the cost of raising children under the age of 18 by giving money to families. You may be eligible to receive a maximum of $1,434 per child, per year, depending on your family net income and number of children.

The Ontario Child Care Fee Subsidy helps families pay for child care or support children with special needs. The amount you pay for child care depends on your family's adjusted net income.

The Childcare Access and Relief from Expenses tax credit (CARE) is a new refundable credit for families with eligible child care expenses.

This program offers income support to help with basic living expenses, benefits for you and your family, and help finding a job. The amount of money you may receive from ODSP will depend on you and your family's income, assets, housing costs, and the size of your family.

The Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) program helps cover the costs of more than 4,400 medications. If you are covered by the ODB program and your prescription drugs are in the Formulary (the official list of drugs covered by Ontario), the program will pay for most of your costs.

The Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) is an Ontario Energy Board (OEB) program that lowers electricity bills for lower-income households. The OESP credits are applied directly to eligible customers’ bills.

The Ontario Energy and Property Tax credit helps with property taxes and the sales tax on energy. The amount is based on the amount of rent or property tax you paid for your principal residence in Ontario, the amount of energy costs paid for your principal residence on a reserve in Ontario, or the amount you paid for living in a public long-term care home in Ontario.

Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income System (GAINS) helps Ontario seniors living on a low income by providing a monthly, non-taxable payment. Your monthly GAINS payment will range between $2.50 and $83.00. The higher your income, the lower your payment.

The Ontario Seniors’ Public Transit Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit to help seniors with public transit costs. You can claim up to $3,000 in eligible public transit expenses and receive up to $450 each year.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a financial aid program that can make it easier for people to go to college or university. The program offers funding through grants (money you don’t have to pay back) and student loans (money you need to repay).

The Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) helps people pay for energy costs and provides help with sales and property tax. The Ontario Trillium Benefit is tax-free and combines the following: Ontario Sales Tax Credit, Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit, and Northern Ontario Energy Credit.

Ontario Works (OW) helps people who have pressing, short-term financial need. This program offers income support to help with the costs of basic needs and health benefits, as well as assistance to help you find, prepare for, and keep a job. Emergency assistance is also available if you are in a crisis or an emergency situation, like losing your home, leaving an abusive relationship, and/or worrying about your safety. 

The Post-Secondary Student Support Program provides qualifying First Nation and Inuit students with funds to access education and job training opportunities at the post-secondary level.

This allowance is for individuals receiving Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you and your family could get help with nutrition-related expenses.

A Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) is a long-term savings plan that helps save for the financial future of people living with disabilities. If you are 49 years of age or younger, depending on your family income, the government will add Canada Disability Savings Grant (CDSG) and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond (CDSB) money to your RDSP.

A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) is a special savings account to help you save for a child's education after high school. Anyone can open a RESP account for a child and put money ("contribute") into it—parents, guardians, grandparents, other relatives, or friends. After you open an RESP, you may be eligible for free money that the Government of Canada adds to the account for children who come from low-income families.

The Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant helps low-to-moderate income seniors with the cost of their property taxes. You may receive up to $500 each year.

For seniors, the Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) program pays for a portion of the cost of approved prescription drugs. After paying your deductible, you are usually asked to pay up to $6.11 for each drug filled or refilled - this is called the "co-payment". Under the Seniors Co-payment Program, seniors living on a low income do not pay for the deductible AND only pay up to $2 each time they fill a prescription for an approved product.

The Special Diet Allowance helps eligible Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) recipients with the extra costs of a special diet for a medical condition listed on the Special Diets Schedule.

If you have personal property - including income - on a reserve, that property is exempt from tax under section 87 of the Indian Act. This exemption also applies to goods bought on, or delivered to, a reserve, and employment income, employment-related income, and business income.

If you are looking after a child in financial need and you are not the child's birth or adoptive parent, you may be able to receive financial help. Temporary Care Assistance provides money to an adult on behalf of a child who needs financial help, is not the caregiver’s legal dependant or is not under the care of a Children’s Aid Society.

If you are leaving Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) for employment, you can continue to receive coverage unless or until your employer provides similar health benefits.

This information is for individuals receiving Ontario Works (OW) or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) Income Support. If you need to attend appointments for medical reasons, OW or ODSP may cover these costs. This includes going to medical, rehabilitation, or counselling appointments.

The Trillium Drug Program (TDP) helps households who spend a large portion of their money on prescription drugs. It covers all drugs approved under the Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) program.

The University and College Entrance Preparation Program (UCEPP) provides financial support to First Nation and eligible Inuit students enrolled in university or college entrance programs to help them get the academic level required to enter a degree or diploma program.

The Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Death Benefit is paid to a spouse or common-law partner and dependent children if a Canadian Armed Forces member has died as a result of a service-related injury or disease if the death was within 30 days after the injury occurred or the disease was contracted.

Veterans Benefits are available to assist veterans and their families after an injury, during transition from military to civilian life, and provides access to supportive services throughout their lives.

Vision Care benefit covers prescription glasses, frames, repairs, and eye exams up to a maximum amount for individuals receiving Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program. If you spend over the set limit, you will need to pay the extra costs to the optometrist or optician.

If you are injured or become ill because of your job, you could get insurance benefits. This is because Ontario’s Workplace Safety and Insurance Act covers most workers by law.