The Canada Disability Savings Grant is a matching grant that pays into the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). The RDSP is a long-term savings plan that helps Canadians with disabilities and their families save for the future.
The Canada Disability Savings Grant is a matching Grant that the Government will deposit into your RDSP to help you save, depending on:
- the amount you contribute into your RDSP, and
- your family income.
If your family income is $93,208 or less:
- on the first $500 contribution - you will receive $3 in Grant for every $1 contributed, up to $1,500 a year.
- on the next $1,000 contribution - you will receive $2 in Grant for every $1 contributed, up to $2,000 a year.
If your family income is more than $93,208:
- on the first $1,000 contribution - you will receive $1 in Grant for every $1 contributed, up to $1,000 a year.
The maximum Grant is $3,500 each year with a limit of $70,000 over your lifetime. Grants are paid into the RDSP until the end of the calendar year in which you turn 49 years old.
You may be eligible if you:
- have an RDSP and are making contributions into your RDSP
- are 49 years of age or under (if you are 49, you must apply before the end of calendar year in which you turned 49)
- are a Canadian resident
- have a Social Insurance Number
- are eligible for the Disability Tax Credit
- have filed your income tax and benefit return
Apply for the Canada Disability Savings Grant
- File your income tax and benefit return every year.
- This allows the Government to know how much Grant you will receive.
- If you are over 18 years of age, you must file your returns.
- Parents or guardians of beneficiaries under 18 years of age must file their returns, must have applied for the Canada Child Benefit for the past two years, and must continue to do so for all future taxation years.
- If you have never filed your income taxes or have missed a few years, you will need to file taxes for the past two years.
- Open an RDSP account at a participating financial organization.
- You must apply for the Grant through the financial institution where you have your RDSP.
- Print out, complete, and bring the Grant application form with you to the financial institution.